How do I record meetings in Virtual Classroom? | Virtual Classroom
A meeting taking place in Virtual Classroom can also be recorded. This way students can rewatch the session at a later moment. It is possible to record a session automatically or to do so manually. Participants with a Moderator role have the rights to start, pause and resume recording.
Guaranteeing students' privacy
Always inform students before the start of a class if it is recorded. Students can then choose to turn their webcam and/or microphone off if they do not want to be in the recording. Read this page for more information about the guidelines concerning recording with different video tools.
If you want to create interaction in the session and want to give students opportunity to talk, then you can pause the meeting temporarily. For example, you can have question moments in the presentation, after which you continue recording. If the recording is paused you can use Permissions to grant everyone access to their microphone and webcam.
Record the meeting automatically
When creating the meeting you will see the setting that allows for automatic recording of the meeting. Automatic recording can be useful when you are new to Virtual Classroom and want to be sure that the meeting gets recorded.
- Click Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Then click Virtual Classroom.
- Click the + icon at the bottom right to create a meeting. For more information about creating a meeting, please read How do I create a meeting in Virtual Classroom?
- Select Automatically record meeting.
If you choose Automatically record meeting then the recording will start as soon at the scheduled start time of the meeting. We recommend starting and pausing the recording manually during the meeting, so the start and breaks will not be included in the recording.
Start and pause the recording manually
- Click Start Recording to start the recording.
Only keep the recording going when the class is in session. This means that you start the recording when you start talking and pause it during breaks. This way, rewatching the meeting will be more pleasant for students.
Pause and resume recording
- When you start the recording you will see the recording time at the top of the screen. Click the time to pause the recording.
- Click Resume recording when you want to resume the recording.
The recording will end automatically once the meeting is ended.
Retrieve the recording
- Click Activities in the navbar of your course and then click Assignments.
- Below Recorded Meetings you will find all meetings that have been recorded. Click the three dots behind the meeting you want to watch and then click Preview.
- On the left you will see the recorded presentation;
- On the right you will see all participants who had their camera on during the session.
Add a recording to content
To share a recording with stuents it is important that the feature "Publish recorded meeting" is turned on when creating the Virtual Classroom.
Students can always find a recording by navigating to Calendar and then going to the day of the meeting. As lecturer you can help students out by adding the recordings to that week's Content.
- Click Content in the navbar.
- Select the (sub)module you want to add the recording to.
- Click Existing Activities.
- Click External Learning Tools.
- You can search for the recording in the list or search for a title in the search bar.
- Then select the title of the meeting.
The meeting has now been added to content.