How do I use the Pulse app?
Pulse is an app for Brightspace users. It can be used by both teachers and students. You can use Pulse to view your courses and course components, upcoming activities, and Notifications both on your phone and tablet.
Please note: This instruction is made based on an iOS device. The interface of an Android device might differ from the images below.
Pulse will operate in your phone's default language. You can change the language settings for Pulse by going to your phone settings, then Pulse, and then changing the preferred language (iOS).
Do you use an iPhone? Then third party links (such as weblectures and Kaltura) are not accessible in the Pulse App. You can navigate to your mobile browser within the app. The settings for Safari with regard to cookies then need to be adjusted. Read more in the article: How do I solve problems with external programs with (mobile) use of Brightspace?
- Download the Pulse app in the Playstore or Apple Store.
- Open the app.
- Select your school (on iOS: Pick my school). Type Radboud University in the search engine and click Radboud University when it comes up. You will be navigated to the Login screen of Brightspace.
- Log in with your Radboud account.
- You will automatically be navigated to Courses, the window that contains all of your courses.
- Select a course to see which items it contains. Note that is it not possible to filter your courses.
- Click Notifications to view your notifications. If you have new notifications, an orange dot will appear.
- Click Gepland (planned) to look at past and upcoming events. You can also add activities.
- If you click the pin icon you can pin courses, just like with the desktop version. If you click the pin icon, the course will appear at the top of your course list. This can help you organise your courses.
- Click the Courses tab to view a course.
You will land on the Content page of the course. If you would like to navigate to Course Home or Activities, open the course in your mobile browser.
- Click Notifications.
- You will see the tabs Updates and Subscriptions, which offer the following options:
- Under Updates you will see the changes made in the content of a course.
- Under Subscriptions you will see notifications of the discussion topics your are following.
Below Subscriptions you will only see the text that has been added to the discussion. For images and other media you will see a notification in the text, but you will still have to open the discussion in the browser.
You can choose to receive push notifications from Pulse. To receive them, change the settings of your phone to receive notifications from Pulse. Pulse also needs to be able to refresh while on the background. You will then receive notifications about:
- Content Overview documents: new content teachers have added to the Overview of a course;
- Course Announcements: announcements about important updates or memories;
- Grades: you will receive updates when teachers add grades to the grade book.
If course information has been added to the Brightspace calendar, you can easily access it in Pulse.
- Click Upcoming.
- Below the tab Work To Do you will find the activities for that week from Activities and Content (topics) you have added a due date for. The graph will show you how busy your week will be. Click on a day to see the activities from that day below the graph. Note that this is an overview of all activities in all courses.
- Select an activity/event to open the details and to navigate to the Brightspace website.
- The check mark behind an activity will show you whether you have completed it or not:
- A light gray check mark means uncompleted.
- A dark gray check mark means completed.
- Below the tab Events you will see the calendar items from your Calendar for the selected week. The graph will show you how busy you week will be for each day. Select a day to see the events for that day below the graph.
- Click on the plus sign to create a new activity or event (for iOS this button will be on the top right of the screen). Then choose Event or Work To Do.
- Name the activity or event.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the course the event belongs to.
- Enter the date and time of the activity/event.
- If you are working on an activity, you can add a percentage that indicates how much the activity will weigh for the final course grade. If you are working on an event, you can add a location and notes.
- Click Save.
Events you add yourself are personal and can therefore only be seen by you yourself. They will only be visible in Pulse, not when you use your browser to access Brightspace.
Some of the items that are visible in the browser might be invisible in Pulse (this is the case for descriptions at Files for example.) You can, however, easily navigate to your mobile browser from Pulse.
If you open Pulse, you will land on the Courses tab. From here there are two ways you can navigate to your mobile browser:
- Click the three dots icon in the top-right corner of your screen. Now click Launch Radboud University Homepage. You will navigate to the personal homepage of your mobile browser.
- Click Radboud University Homepage. You will navigate to the personal homepage of your mobile browser.
You can also navigate directly to a certain course.
- Click the desired course.
- Click the three dots icon in the top-right corner of your screen. Then click Launch Course Homepage. You will be navigated to the Course Home of the selected course in your mobile browser.
- You can also click Course Homepage. You will be navigated to the Course Home of the selected course in your mobile browser.