How do I adjust my account preferences?
In the Account Settings menu, you can adjust many of Brightspace's display options to your own liking.
- On the first tab (Account Settings), you can adjust general account settings, such as font size, language and locale preferences, and various settings for other applications.
- On the second tab (Discussions), you can adjust display and reply settings for discussion boards.
- Click your name/picture in the minibar.
- Click Account Settings. The Account Settings tab will appear.
- Font Settings lets you change the size of the font used by Brightspace. Text in images, documents, and other objects will not change size with this setting.
- The Dialog Setting section lets you select whether modal dialogs open in the same window you are working in (Dialogs) or in a new one (Pop-ups). Choose pop-ups if you want to keep pages as organized as possible, for instance, when you are working on your phone or when using external screen reading or speech tools.
- The HTML Editor Settings let you turn the HTML editor on or off. We highly recommend keeping this setting turned on! Not only does it remove all text editing features, it also stops recognizing line ends and exposes raw HTML code in existing objects.
- Some features of Brightspace automatically mark objects you scroll by as read. Under Reading Content, you can prevent this behavior by turning off Do not automatically mark items as read as the page scrolls.
- Video Settings controls whether assistive tools can see and playback video's. Turn this option on if you use these tools.
- Locale & Language contains settings that change the display of timestamps, the first day of the week, date and number formats, and the way in which percentages are formatted. Note that some courses will override these settings.
- Time Zone lets you change what time zone is used by Brightspace.
- Signing In controls whether you appear as online when logged in. Choose Always appear offline if you want to show as offline at all times, regardless of whether you are logged in or not.
- You can log out of Binder under Binder Settings.
- Click Save and Close to save the changes you made and return to the page you opened your account settings from.
- Click the Discussions tab to change settings for discussions.
Personal Settings lets you change your personal display preferences:
- Under Display Settings, you can choose whether you want to see the discussion list pane on the left side of the screen. This pane appears when you open a topic or thread. (Always show the Discussion List Pane).
- Default View lets you choose whether discussions open in the schematic Grid View or in Reading View, in which you can see an entire post without having to click it.
- Reply Settings lets you choose whether replying to a post includes the original post in your reply (Include original post in reply).
- Subscription Settings lets you control whether you automatically subscribe to threads you create yourself (When creating a new thread, subscribe to the thread by default).
Grid View Settings let you set your preferences for how discussions appear in grid view:
- Default Threading Style lets you choose whether you can see threads between different posts (Threaded or Unthreaded).
- Under Display Settings, you can choose whether you want to see posts expanded at the bottom of the screen or in a new pop-up window (Show the preview pane). You can also choose to display a search bar in the grid (Show the search bar).
- Post Fields to Display allows you to turn the Post ID on or off.
- Character Limits can be used to limit the amount of characters you can see in the grid. Enter the amount of subject characters Brightspace should display.
- Click Save and Close to save the changes you made and to return to the page where you came from.
You can also change your discussion preferences from Discussions. Opening your preferences from there takes you to the same screen as when you open them from Account Settings.