What's New? August 2020
On 28 August 2020, a new version of Brightspace (20.20.08) was released. Read more about what's new in this release below.
Students can no longer access the Virtual Classroom via Activities
Students can no longer access the Virtual Classroom via Activities. This restriction does not apply to lecturers. It is important for lecturers to explain to their students where they can find the Virtual Classroom meeting. Students can find it in their Calendar, but it is also advised to add it to Content.
Read more in the manual How do I add a planned meeting or a recording to Content?
New version Virtual Classroom
Virtual Classroom has a new interface.
The most important changes are:
- A maximum of 10 webcams (including the teacher's camera) can now be switched on per meeting instead of 7.
- On the left you will find a menu to quickly:
- Manage participants;
- Start a chat;
- Start a poll;
- Create breakout rooms.
- You no longer have to leave a meeting to change your audio or video during a meeting. When you turn on your webcam you can choose which camera you want to use and with which quality. Read the manual below to learn more about setting up your microphone: How do I switch my camera/microphone in Virtual Classroom?
- Breakout Rooms:
- Participants can randomly be added to the different sessions to speed up the process.
- As host you are now able to participate in a breakout room with audio only, without actually moving to that breakout room.
- You can now create eight breakout rooms instead of six.
- You can zoom in to view the dias of powerpoints; the other participants will be able to see this.
- Participants can now see the presentation in full screen.
The manual Which options do I have during a meeting? provides an overview of all functionalities available with Virtual Classroom.
Copy Checklist and Assignments
It is now possible to copy existing Assignments and Checklists. You will find the Copy feature in the quick menu behind the name of the Assignment/Checklist. Grade items and Turnitin settings will not be copied, but Release Conditions are.
Add files to a quiz with open-ended questions
Students can now upload files to their answers for a Written Response question type in a Quiz. Lecturers do have to turn this feature on manually.
For more information: Create questions: additional options
The Brightspace Assignment Grader and Brightspace ePorfolio apps can no longer be downloaded
You can no longer download the Brightspace Assignment Grader and Brightspace ePortfolio apps. Users who have already download the apps can continue to use them.