How do I import questions to Cirrus?
You can import questions from different collections or for example an Excel file to each one of your collections in the library.
- Navigate to Library in the navigation bar on the left.
- Click on the collection that contains the desired item. You will now navigate to the Items tab of the collection.
- Click Import under Action.
Below a number of methods are described in detail:
- Importing from an Excel file
Importing from another collection
- Select another collection.
- Click Continue.
3. Select from the dropdown menu the collection which you want to import. If you do not select a collection, Cirrus will display a list of all items which you can import.
After selecting the collection from the dropdown select the items individually by placing a check mark or select all items by placing the check mark in front of the Title.
Click on Import selected once done. You will automatically return to the item tab; the new items will be displayed at the top of the list with the status Draft.
Importing from an IMS QTI file
The following questions can be imported via IMS QTI:
- Multiple choice
- Multiple response
- Fill in the blank
- Select from a list
- File response
- Select IMS QTI file.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on Upload file to select the QTI file.
- Select the questions you wish to import and click on Import Selected.
Importing via Excel
If you want to import questions via Excel, please download the latest version the Excel file.
- Select Excel file.
- Click on Continue.
- Click Upload file and search for the desired file on your computer. It is important that the Excel file has the correct fields. You can see which fields by clicking See an example. A file containing an example will now be downloaded. Question Type, Question Text, the answers (Answer 1, Answer 2, etc), the correct answer and the Score are mandatory and need to be filled out. The other fields can remain empty. Remember that:
- If you do not enter an item-ID, Cirrus will automatically generate an ID based on the existing ID's in the collection you are placing the new item in.
- If you have entered an item-ID that already exists within Cirrus, the ID of the already existing item will be changed to a new ID.
- You can mark the correct answer by putting an asterisk (*) in front of it.
- If you do not enter anything under Randomised, this value will automatically be False (meaning it is not randomised).
- If you want to enter something under Taxonomies this value needs to be similar to the existing options for taxonomies in Cirrus. The taxonomy can only be in the Cirrus list once.
- If you do not enter anything for Status or enter a term that does not exist (or make a typo) the status will automatically become a draft.
Labels that are added through import are visible for all Cirrus users when you use the column 'Static Label'. That is why you are not supposed to add those labels through import. Use instead the column 'Personal Label'.
After you have uploaded a file or files, select the files you wish to import.
- Select the box in front of the desired questions. If you wish to import all questions, you have to click on the box next to Title to select all questions at once.
- Click Import selected. You will now return to the items tab; the newest items will be at the top in the list of items.