How do I create an Essay question item?
Click on the omega sign (orange box) to add special characters.
- Enter a title.
- Enter your question.
- Add a (media)file if desired.
A Resource means you can add a PDF that will appear as a separate pop-up window during the test.
A Media file is an image shown together with the question.
- Fill out the marking scheme to determine which criteria you will be using when assessing the question. This can be either for yourself or for fellow assessors.
- Enter the maximum number of words the answer can contain.
- Select whether students are allowed to use an advanced text editor (which allows them to change the layout of a page, for example by using cursive and bold text or an enumeration. We advise against the use of the spelling check because it is currently not functioning properly.
- Enter the number of points that can be obtained for this question.
- Select Summative to use this question in a summative test.
See Default setting for items for more information about the other settings you find under Tag.
- Click Preview to see what the question will look like for students. Click Save and close to return to the items page.
- Click on Criteria to mark answers given by the students based on preset criteria.
- Click on Add criterion
- Fill in a Title and Description.
- Add, if needed, a Subcriterion.
- The total amount of points must be added per Subcriterion. The total score of the essay question will be shown at the first page Question under Maximum score of this question.
- Click on Save or Save and Close.
When creating or editing a question, click the Options button to set up the advanced options.
Feedback on questions
Feedback set per question can be displayed during a candidate review, or in a formative exam. Here feedback can be displayed after answering a question or at the end of the exam. You can choose between general or detailed feedback.
- Choose General if you want to display general feedback.
- Select Show feedback on question to enter general feedback about the question.
The candidates can use the workout box to clarify their provided answer. These notes will be stored and can be viewed during the marking process.
Select Allow workout box for candidates to allow candidates to have the possibility to argue or calculate their answer.
While compiling the exam you have the option to allow the workoutbox for all questions, none or the selected questions. Please discuss your preferences with the faculty coordinator.