How do I share my screen? | Zoom
During a meeting you can share your screen. This way you can show a presentation or point participants towards a website.
- Click Share Screen.
- You can share different types of content below Basic.
- Choose what content you want to share:
- Your entire desktop screen: when you share you entire screen the participants will be able to see every action you perform on the chosen screen. A green frame will indicate that you are sharing a certain screen. In this example there are two screens.
- A Whiteboard: Share a white screen where you can create annotations.
- An iPhone/iPad.
- A specific application: In this example Word and Outlook are opened. You will only share the content of this application, for example a Word file. When you open a different application, for example Chrome, on the same screen, then the participants will not see this; they will still see the Word file.
- Select the following settings (optional):
- Share computer sound: every sound that is played on the computer will also be shared in the meeting.
- Optimize for full screen video clip: select this option when you want to play a video clip in full screen modus. Do not select it for any other type of content, because the shared screen might get blurry.
- Click Share.
If possible, use two screens when you want to share a screen. This way you can use one screen to share content, and you will be able to see the participants on the other screen.
If you have one screen to work with, you can either share a document or show a whiteboard. You cannot share your entire screen. The participants only see the shared document or whiteboard. As session giver you will see the participant in the same screen as the document or whiteboard.
Share an iPhone/iPad screen
- Click Share Screen and then iPhone/iPad. Instructions will appear:
Make sure that the iPhone or iPad is connected to the same network as the computer. Then open the quick menu on the iPhone/iPad:
- Click Screen Mirroring. In Dutch this is called 'Synchrone weergave'.
- Click on the device where you have opened Zoom. The iPhone/iPad screen will now be shared in the meeting.
If you use Zoom on a Mac, you will also be able to share an iPhone/iPad screen with a cable. This option does not exist for Windows.
- Click Share Screen and then click Whiteboard.
- A white screen will be opened, this is your Whiteboard.
- The annotation tools will be opened automatically. Read more about using annotations in the manual How do I use annotations and the Whiteboard?
- Create a new Whiteboard page and switch between the pages.
Below Advanced you will find other screenshare options.
- Portion of Screen
- Music or Computer Sound Only: Only share your computer audio.
- Content from 2nd Camera: Share a second camera that you have connected to the computer.
Portion of Screen
Go to Advanced and click Portion of screen, then choose Share. A green frame will appear in your screen.
- Drag the frame to the part of the screen you want to share. Participants will only be able to see the content within this frame. If you share your screen with Portion of Screen, you - as the Host - will be able to move the green frame while screen sharing, or scroll down. The green frame will remain in the same position but the content within the frame changes.
Share screen menu
When you share your screen you will see a menu at the top of your screen.
- Mute/Unmute: turn your own microphone on or off.
- Start/Stop Video: turn your own camera on or off.
- Lock Meeting: if you select this option, no one else will be able to participate in the meeting.
- Enable Waiting Room: put new participants in the waiting room.
- Allow Participants to:
- Share Screen: participants can share their screen
- Chat: participants can send messages in the chat
- Rename Themselves: participants can share their visible name
- Unmute Themselves: participants can turn their own audio on and off. If this feature is turned off, the host is the only one who can unmute participants.
- Remove Participant...: remove participants.
- Report...: report participants to Zoom, for example if they are not invited or share inappropriate videos or screens.
- Participants: view and manage participants (when you are host).
- New Share: share a new screen, you can again choose which screen or what content you want to share.
- Pause Share: pause share. Participants will now see the screen you have shared, as screen sharer you are able to open different tabs, applications or documents without the participants seeing them.
- Remote Control: allow a participant to take control of the computer mouse.
- Chat: open the chat.
- Invite: invite more participants. Please refer to the manual How do I start and plan a session?
- Allow/Disable participants annotation: give or revoke permission for participants to make annotations.
- Show/Hide Names of Annotators: show or hide the names of participants when they make screen annotations.
- Share computer sound: share the sounds of the computer with the participants.
- Optimize Share for Full-screen Video Clip: turn on full screen when you want to share a video.
- End: end the meeting.