How do I set restrictions for an Assignment? Activities | Assignments
- Click Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Click Assignments. You will land on the Assignments homepage to get an overview of all the assignments you have created.
- Click New Assignment to create a new assignment, or
- Click the arrow next to the assignment to open the quick-menu.
- Click Edit Assignment to edit an assignment.
- Navigate to Restrictions (second tab). Important: for a new assignment, you need to create a new assignment first, before you can navigate to the restrictions tab.
- Hide from users is turned on by default, which means that students cannot see the assignment. Tick Hide from users to make the assignment visible to students.
- You can set a deadline under Due Date. Important: the option Now should only be used if you did not set a due date in Brightspace, but have communicated one to your students. By clicking Now you can directly set the communicated deadline in motion.
- Indicate at Has Start Date the time and date that students can start submitting the assignment. Indicate at Has End Date the time and date that the assignment closes which means students are no longer able to view or submit the assignment. Click Now if the date and time are to start immediately. Important: the option Now should only be used for End Date when you want to close the assignment directly.
- Add release conditions if you want.
- Under Special Access you can select for certain students to get special access to the assignment:
- Select Allow users with special access to submit outside the normal availability dates for this folder if certain students get different submission dates.
- Select Allow only users with special access to see this folder if only certain students are allowed to see a certain folder.
- Click Add Users to Special Access to select students who will get special access.
- Click Save and Close to return to the Assignments homepage.
Do not use the Now button to set the Due Date and End Date to start immediately. We recommend seting a Due Date and End Date when creating the assignment. This way you don't have to worry about processing communicated deadlines later on and it makes it much clearer for the student when the deadline is set and when they cannot access the assignment anymore.
Leave the Has End Date box empty if it is useful for students to be able to view the assignment after submitting it (for example whilst preparing for their exams). However, do fill in a deadline at Has Due Date. Students will now keep their access to the assignment and can still submit their assignments, but as a teacher you will have a clear overview which shows you when an assignment was handed in late. If you do decide to fill in an End Date, students will still see the title of the assignment, but will not be able to open it anymore (the same goes for the period of the Start Date, if there is one).
Add users to Special Access
- If you want certain students to be given a different deadline than the rest of the group, set a separate deadline at Due Date.
- If you want the assignment to only be displayed to a few students, fill in a customized Start Date and/or End Date.
- Use the Search Options to find students that have special access in any way:
- Select in the drop-down menu under View By if you want to search among all students in the course (User) or in a certain group (Groups) and click Apply. If you chose a group, you can then select which group you would like to search in the drop-down menu, (click Apply once more).
- In the search bar, fill in (a part of) the student's name or their student number to quickly find them. Now click enter (on your key board) or click the magnifying glass icon.
- Select the student(s) it concerns. Tick the box at the top to select all students that are showing up through the search filter.
- Click Save to return to the Edit Assignment page.
By searching per group, you can easily give the entire group within the course special access, without having to look up each individual student separately to add them.
Do you want to change the end date for students with special access during the course? You can do so by clicking Add users to Special Access again. Here, you can alter the end date, select the students to whom the change applies, and click Save when you are finished. If you do this, you are NOT altering the end date of the assignment! If you change the end date for the entire assignment, it will not be processed for students with special access.